The For The People Act would empower voters, ensuring every person has the right to participate.
Among other provisions, the For The People Act:
- Helps states move to offer online voting.
- Increases automatic voter registration through the DMV.
- Allows eligible residents to register to vote and cast a ballot on the same day.
- Boosts safeguards against unlawful interference with voter registration.
- Establishes federal criminal penalties for deceiving or intimidating voters.
- Promotes accuracy, integrity, and security through voter-verified permanent paper ballot.
- Requires states to establish uniform and nondiscriminatory standards for issuing, handling, and counting provisional ballots in federal elections.
- Protects voting rights for absent military and overseas voters.
- Funds poll worker recruitment and training.
- Affirms Congress’s commitment to update and restore the full protections of Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 (VRA).
- Provides access to voting for individuals with disabilities.
- Restores federal voting rights to Americans who are disenfranchised due to a previous criminal conviction.
- Expands early voting and makes early voting more accessible.
- Expands opportunities to vote by mail in federal elections.
- Promotes voting access for students, voters who lack identification, voters living on tribal lands, and voters who may have difficulty voting in person.
- Commits to protecting and promoting Native American voting rights.
- Supports voting rights for Americans living in the U.S. territories of American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Establishes new requirements for congressional redistricting.
- Establishes uniform rules for drawing districts.
- Establishes a ban on partisan gerrymandering.
- Establishes a requirement that states use independent commissions to draw maps.
- Establishes stronger protections for minority communities.
Increases Election Security:
- Grants to fund election security upgrades.
- Grants for states and localities to update voting systems.
- Creates new security requirements for private companies that sell voting machines and other election equipment.
- Establishes competitive private sector grants to incentivize research and development regarding the security of elections.
- Directs the president to develop a national strategy and implementation plan to protect democratic institutions from threats.
- Directs the EAC to develop cybersecurity guidelines.
Counters the harmful effects of Citizens United:
- To allow Congress and the states to set reasonable campaign spending limits that distinguish between natural persons and artificial entities like corporations.
- Allows political party committees to create designated small-donor accounts.
- Overhauls the Federal Election Commission (FEC).
- Stops Super PAC-Candidate Coordination.
Increases Campaign Finance Transparency:
- Requires campaigns and other political committees to report contacts with foreign governments.
- Closes the major loopholes responsible for "dark money".
- Expands the prohibition on campaign spending by foreign nationals.
- Closes loopholes that have permitted "dark money" groups to keep the donors who fund their campaign spending secret.
- Increases transparency requirements for online political ads and take other steps to combat foreign interference.
- Stops anonymous groups from purchasing targeted digital ads without disclosing who paid for them.
- Requires super PACs who purchase political advertisements to disclose their top donors and chief officials.
- Deters foreign interference in elections.
- Allows the IRS to require tax-exempt organizations to disclose the donors who fund their political activities.
Boosts Ethical Standards:
- Requires a code of ethics for the United States Supreme Court.
- Bolsters enforcement of rules governing foreign agents operating in the United States.
- Increases federal lobbying disclosure requirements.
- Strengthens conflict of interest rules for members of Congress.
- Increases transparency requirements for campaign spending by registered lobbyists.
- Requires sitting presidents, vice presidents, and major-party candidates for those offices to disclose their tax returns.
And more... these provisions picked from a more exhaustive outline, read the full annotated guide at The Brennan Center for Justice
The Digital Currency Empowerment Network (DIGICEN.ORG) works to advocate for Digital Economic Inclusion through Universal Basic Income, CBDCs, Digital Literacy, Internet Access, and Democracy Tech. DIGICEN endorses the For The People Act. Learn more about DIGICEN here.
for the people act